Bogota Colombia Video
Hidden Gems: Off-the-Beaten-Path Tours in Bogota Colombia
When visiting Bogota, Colombia, it’s easy to get caught up in the popular tourist attractions, but there are also many hidden gems that offer unique and authentic experiences. These off-the-beaten-path tours allow you to explore lesser-known parts of the city, discover local culture, and interact with the friendly people of Bogota. Whether you’re a history enthusiast, an art lover, or an adventure seeker, these hidden gems have something for everyone. Here are ten must-visit off-the-beaten-path tours in Bogota:
La Candelaria Walking Tour
- Plaza de Bolivar: Explore the heart of Bogota and visit the famous Plaza de Bolivar, surrounded by important government buildings and historical landmarks. Learn about the city’s rich history and the significance of this central square.
- Museo Botero: Discover the impressive art collection of renowned Colombian artist Fernando Botero. Marvel at his iconic sculptures and paintings, which depict exaggerated figures and reflect his unique style.
- Chorro de Quevedo: Visit the historic square where Bogota was founded in 1538. Immerse yourself in the bohemian atmosphere, admire the street art, and enjoy a cup of traditional Colombian coffee.
- Plaza del Rosario: Explore this charming plaza filled with colorful buildings, street vendors, and local artisans. Experience the vibrant energy of La Candelaria neighborhood.
- Casa de la Moneda: Step inside the Casa de la Moneda, the oldest mint in Latin America, and learn about the fascinating history of Colombian currency. Admire the impressive collection of coins, banknotes, and historical artifacts.
Bogota Colombia Image 1:
Street Art Tour
- La Candelaria Street Art: Explore the vibrant street art scene in La Candelaria neighborhood. Discover colorful murals, graffiti, and urban art that tell stories about Colombian culture, history, and social issues.
- San Felipe Street Art District: Venture outside of the city center to San Felipe, a neighborhood known for its thriving street art scene. Marvel at large-scale murals created by local and international artists.
- Street Art Workshops: Participate in a street art workshop and learn the techniques behind this expressive art form. Create your own masterpiece under the guidance of talented local artists.
- Gallery Visits: Visit art galleries that showcase street art and urban culture. Discover emerging artists and support the local art scene.
- Street Art Festivals: Time your visit to coincide with one of Bogota’s street art festivals, such as the annual Bogota Street Art Festival. Experience live mural painting, music performances, and cultural events.
Usaquen Neighborhood Tour
- Usaquen Sunday Market: Explore the charming streets of Usaquen and visit the popular Sunday market. Browse through stalls selling handicrafts, clothing, and local delicacies. Enjoy live music and traditional dances.
- Hacienda Santa Barbara: Visit the historic Hacienda Santa Barbara, a beautifully restored colonial mansion that now houses boutique shops, restaurants, and cafes. Wander through its picturesque courtyard and enjoy a cup of Colombian coffee.
- Iglesia Santa Barbara: Admire the stunning architecture of the Santa Barbara Church, a neo-Gothic masterpiece. Step inside to see its intricate stained glass windows and ornate decorations.
- Parque de Usaquen: Relax in the peaceful Parque de Usaquen, a green oasis in the middle of the neighborhood. Take a leisurely stroll, have a picnic, or simply enjoy the tranquil surroundings.
- Usaquen History Museum: Learn about the history of Usaquen and its transformation from a small village to a vibrant neighborhood. Explore the museum’s exhibitions and discover the stories of its inhabitants.
Bogota Colombia Image 2:
Mount Monserrate Hike
- Monserrate Funicular: Take a ride on the Monserrate Funicular, a historic railway that transports visitors to the top of Mount Monserrate. Enjoy panoramic views of Bogota and the surrounding mountains.
- Hiking Trails: Embark on a scenic hike up Mount Monserrate. Choose from different trails of varying difficulty levels and immerse yourself in nature.
- Santuario del Senor Caído: Visit the Santuario del Senor Caído, a beautiful church located at the summit of Mount Monserrate. Marvel at its stunning architecture and religious artifacts.
- Restaurants and Cafes: Indulge in delicious Colombian cuisine at one of the restaurants or cafes on Mount Monserrate. Enjoy traditional dishes while taking in the breathtaking views.
- Souvenir Shopping: Browse through the souvenir shops on Mount Monserrate and find unique gifts and mementos to remember your visit.
Salt Cathedral of Zipaquira
- Underground Cathedral: Explore the impressive Salt Cathedral, a unique underground church carved into the salt mines of Zipaquira. Admire the stunning architecture and learn about the religious significance of this place.
- Salt Mine Tour: Take a guided tour of the salt mine and learn about the process of salt extraction. Discover the history of the mines and the challenges faced by the miners.
- Stations of the Cross: Walk along the Stations of the Cross, a series of sculptures depicting the final hours of Jesus Christ’s life. Experience a spiritual journey underground.
- Mirror Room: Enter the Mirror Room, a mesmerizing space with reflective surfaces that create an illusion of infinite space. Take unique photos and marvel at the optical effects.
- Zipaquira Town: Explore the charming town of Zipaquira, known for its colonial architecture and picturesque streets. Visit local shops and try traditional Colombian snacks.
Bogota Colombia Image 3:
Ciclovia Sunday Bike Ride
- Ciclovia: Join the locals on Sundays and experience Bogota’s famous Ciclovia. The city’s main streets are closed to vehicles, allowing cyclists, joggers, and skaters to take over. Enjoy the vibrant atmosphere and explore the city on two wheels.
- Route Options: Choose from various routes that cater to different skill levels and interests. Ride along the iconic Carrera Septima or explore the city’s parks and green spaces.
- Rental Bikes: Don’t have a bike? No problem! Rent a bike from one of the many rental stations along the Ciclovia route. Explore Bogota at your own pace.
- Street Food: Refuel during your bike ride with delicious street food. Try typical Colombian snacks like arepas, empanadas, and freshly squeezed fruit juices.
- Street Performances: Be entertained by street performers showcasing their talents along the Ciclovia route. Enjoy live music, dance performances, and acrobatics.
- Tejo Game: Try your hand at Tejo, Colombia’s national sport. The game involves throwing metal discs at gunpowder-filled targets, aiming for an explosive result. Experience the thrill and compete with friends.
- Tejo Venues: Visit a Tejo venue, where you can find multiple lanes for playing the game. Enjoy a friendly atmosphere, music, and cold beers while playing Tejo.
- Tejo Rules: Learn the rules of the game from experienced players or instructors. Embrace the competitive spirit and challenge yourself to improve your skills.
- Tejo History: Discover the history and cultural significance of Tejo in Colombian society. Learn about its indigenous origins and its evolution into a popular recreational activity.
- Tejo Tournaments: If you’re lucky, you might catch a Tejo tournament taking place at a local venue. Witness skilled players competing for glory.
Chapinero Food Tour
- Local Eateries: Explore the diverse culinary scene of Chapinero neighborhood. Visit local eateries and taste a variety of traditional Colombian dishes, street food, and international cuisines.
- Arepas and Empanadas: Indulge in the iconic Colombian snacks, arepas, and empanadas. Try different fillings and flavors, and discover your favorites.
- Craft Beer Tastings: Sample craft beers from local breweries. Learn about the brewing process and savor unique flavors.
- Market Visit: Visit a local market and explore the vibrant stalls selling fresh fruits, vegetables, and local products. Immerse yourself in the bustling atmosphere and interact with the vendors.
- Dessert Delights: End your food tour on a sweet note by trying traditional Colombian desserts like tres leches cake, arequipe, or tropical fruit sorbets.
Botanical Garden Exploration
- Flora and Fauna: Discover the rich biodiversity of Colombia at the Botanical Garden. Explore the extensive collection of plants, flowers, and trees, and learn about their medicinal and cultural importance.
- Orchid House: Visit the Orchid House, home to a vast collection of orchid species. Admire the stunning colors and delicate beauty of these flowers.
- Butterfly Garden: Step into the Butterfly Garden and be surrounded by colorful butterflies fluttering around. Learn about their life cycle and the importance of these pollinators.
- Lake and Wetlands: Take a peaceful walk around the lake and wetland areas of the Botanical Garden. Spot various bird species and enjoy the tranquility of nature.
- Botanical Garden Shop: Browse through the Botanical Garden shop and find unique souvenirs, plants, and gardening accessories.
Exploring the hidden gems of Bogota through off-the-beaten-path tours allows you to have a deeper understanding of the city’s culture, history, and natural beauty. From the colonial streets of La Candelaria to the vibrant street art districts, Bogota offers a diverse range of experiences for every traveler. Whether you’re hiking up Mount Monserrate, visiting the underground Salt Cathedral, or joining the locals on a Sunday bike ride, these tours will create lasting memories. Step away from the typical tourist path and uncover the hidden treasures of Bogota.